flight #1.jpg

This was the start of my big adventure for 2018, Graeme picked me up and dropped me off at Glasgow Airport where I got on my first flight to Dubai, which was good, I watched Star Wars Solo, and Jumanji, they were very good movies which helped pass the time.

The in-flight meal was OK, and the arrival and transit in Dubai were very smooth, as I was connecting to another flight it was very easy, I only had to pass through security again with my hand luggage then make my way to the gate for my next flight.

The second flight to Singapore, was on an Airbus A380, one of those great big double decked planes, everything about it was bigger, the seats, the legroom and the seat back screen.  The flight was quite empty and I had a full row of seats to myself which meant that I could have a lie-down sleep during the flight.  Again the service and food etc was fine.


Once in Singapore and I had checked into my hotel, the Furama Riverfront, and got settled in my room, I took an evening stroll, wandering along to the nearby Tiong Bahru Market, supposedly a hip/neighbourhood with a busy food market (shut when I visited), loads of bars and cafes, I found some really nice murals by a local guy.  After a beer, I headed back to the hotel tired and a bit damp, it’s a little bit humid here. An early bed beckoned as I had had a busy couple of days ahead and there was an early start in the morning for my city tour.

Jet lag took hold, getting to bed at what would be around 5:00pm at home meant it was hard to get to sleep, which meant that I overslept.  After a quick coffee and breakfast on the go, I headed into town to collect my tourist bus ticket, a turn around town on the green route took me to the Marina Bay and the Merlion Park.  A walk over the bridge took me to the Sands Skypark Tower where I had lunch in the food mall before going to the observation deck of the tower for some spectacular views of Singapore.

Leaving the tower I then picked up a bus on the orange route which took me through the city to Little India where I took some pictures of the street art in the area before heading back into town on the last bus (6:00pm).

What drew me to Singapore was some images I’d seen of the Gardens by the Bay, and when I visited on Saturday night for the light show, I wasn’t disappointed, it more than lived up to my expectations.  When I arrived in the Gardens, I had a quick bite to eat in one of the many cafes before and stroll around before settling down to watch the light show, it was spectacular and particularly poignant as it opened with one of Jean’s favourites, Zadoc the priest, a beer then home after a long, busy but tiring day (32000 steps later) and off to bed.

Another long lie after yesterday’s long walks, a quick coffee and off I set for Chinatown, intending to do a 2-hour walking tour, I ended up doing the 5 hour one instead and again racked up the walking miles. I had lunch in Chinatown then carried on walking taking plenty of photographs as I went.

Chinatown was in complete contrast to Little India yesterday and this was reflected in the street art, I think I found some of my favourites here.  I then headed back to the hotel to freshen up before dinner.

I was picked up at 6:15pm to go on the Night Safari tour I had booked, after a drive north, almost to the border with Malaysia, we arrived at Singapore Zoo where a section is opened up at night to enable you to view the nocturnal animals. It was a very slick operation, a tram ride through the forest let us see the lions, tigers and various other animals that come out to play at night.  It was a great night finished off with a show by a fire-eating troupe.  Home to the hotel by 11:00 and so to bed.

Got up early this morning and repacked my case then checked into my flight online,  then out of my room, leaving my case at the hotel I took a short walk to Tiong Bahru, where I took some pictures that I missed the other day.  A coffee in the food market sitting watching the world go by was restful after the past few days exertions. With nothing much to do after lunch, I headed off to the airport and checked in for my flight. The flight itself was OK and I managed to finish watching the Blade Runner 2049 movie that I had started watching on the way out.

The weather in Singapore was very hot and humid at all times and there was the occasional thunderstorm which, although they were heavy, did not last long.  I found Singapore to be a bright, busy city with a diverse range of cultures and people, I enjoyed my time there and I would certainly go back.

Whilst here, I explored the city taking photographs of the vibrant city street art, in the different communities, Indian, Chinese and Malay, finding some favourites amongst them, (you can see them on my Street Art Around the World Page).